Who is it for?
Strengthening Families is for families in all shapes and sizes.
On this page:
Strengthening Families might be right if you are facing challenges like:
- finding a warm, comfortable home for your family/ whānau
- getting help with your child or young person’s health or behaviour
- money troubles
- doing something about your child not doing well at school
- coping with stress at home.
- family relationships
- family violence
Strengthening Families is there to help your family/ whānau before any problems get too big. Families often get help with several of these things.
Is it for your family/whānau?
Strengthening Families is for families when:
- more than one community or government service is or could support you and your family/ whānau
- your family/ whānau has a child, children or young person (s) in your care
- support services and government agenices are working together will help your family/ whānau achieve its dreams and goals, and this is in the best interests of your child or whole family/ whānau.
Strengthening Families is for any family/whānau
Families of all shapes and sizes use Strengthening Families. This includes solo parents, grandparents raising grandchildren, teenage parents, foster parents, and any other family type you can imagine.
In many cases families will already be involved with different agencies. However, you do not have to be involved with two or more agencies when you first get in touch. If you could benefit from involvement by other agencies, then Strengthening Families might be right for you.
Teen parents are welcome
Every one involved in Strengthening Families knows what a steep learning curve people face when they first become parents. For some younger parents it can be tough to getting all the help needed to raise happy and confident children.
Strengthening Families offers a way for younger parents to get all the services and support they need. We work in family-friendly way, helping all parents become better equipped to face any issues that crop up.
When not to use Strengthening Families
If things are going well with two or more agencies involved with your family/ whänau, you may not need to use Strengthening Families.
Families facing challenges where there is suspected child abuse or neglect are not able to use Strengthening Families. Child, Youth and Family should be contacted if you are worried about a child or young person. Phone 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459).
Strengthening Families is a not mediation service or available to reconcile family break-ups. There are other ways you get help with these types of issues, including Relationship Services and the Family Court.